Pages

Monday, June 5, 2017

Teachers and Coaches Change Lives. Never Doubt

Last semester I was lucky enough to work with English Language Arts and Foreign Language student interns at OSU. I was the teacher of record for the extra class they had to take during their internship (student teaching). They reflected on their experiences, and during one class I asked them to tell me a story of one student...I'm a firm believer in the power of story to connect people and to bring change. My hidden agenda was to give student interns their voice in advocating for their students. The stories moved me, and I have permission to share some with you. So, over the next few weeks, I'll do just that.

Just under 20 student interns, and about half of them are already gone...gone to Texas for higher salaries, and a living wage. As I grew close to these young people, it made me unutterably sad to see them go. But I also felt proud of their insistence that they were worth more than Oklahoma schools can offer. They are the future of my profession...my family business. 

So, please enjoy the story of AO. And see how one teacher, one coach, can stop, notice, and change everything. 

AO comes to class every day with a smile on his face and tie around his neck. Though his shoes are tattered and his shirt is littered with stains, he dresses for success and remains the bright light for a darkened time. 
If you knew AO three years ago you would look down or possibly hide your purse from his sight. He was a repeat juvenile offender, an exiled disturbance to the regular classroom, and a frequent flyer on the alternative school roster. 
He did not have parents to come home to so he instead went to work at McDonalds and used that money to pay his rent. 
AO’s trajectory changed one day as the cross-country team hurdled by and the coach said he needed more runners. His life has metamorphosed ever since and is now an active a contributing citizen in society and in his high school. 
Though his path has not been easy, AO finds a way to smile and succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment